Bardsey Island

Gateway to Heaven      

Ynys Enlli

Home
Farm
Crafts
Boat Trips
Poetry
Bird Observatory
Island Trust
Lighthouse
Picture Gallery
Accommodation
Island Spirituality
Links
All pages copyright ©
Developed by AP4Internet
Animated gif of a Christian fish

Weather Charts

Lighthouse Bardsey Island

Bardsey Lighthouse stands on the southerly tip of the island and gives a guide to vessels in passage through St. George's Channel and the Irish Sea. The building was erected by Trinity House in 1821 at a cost of £5,470 12s 6d plus a further £2,950 16s 7d for the lantern.

The lighthouse tower is unusual in being square in plan. It is striped in red and white horizontal bands.

In 1987 the Lighthouse was converted to automatic operation and up until 1995 was monitored from the Trinity House Area Control Station at Holyhead. It is now monitored from the Trinity House Depot at Harwich with a local part-time attendant carrying out routine maintenance.

Source: www.trinityhouse.co.uk

Lighthouse Bardsey Island